February 28, 2013

What's for Dinner? Leftover Turkey and Sausage Gumbo

I made this a few weeks back and forgot to tell you about it!  This made meal #2 from our leftover smoked turkey.

First, you need a little background before I dive into this recipe.  I'm kind of a gumbo snob.  Growing up, my Grandma made the best gumbo ever.  EVER.  Even to this day.  The recipe for The-Best-Gumbo-Ever is in my recipe binder but I only pull it out on special occasions.  Mostly because it takes all day to make.  No lie. 

So, when I say this Sausage and Turkey Gumbo is "great"...you can take it to the bank. =)  However, I may have strayed from the recipe just a tad.  Shocking, I know.  When I make roux, I do it the old fashioned way...1:1 ratio of flour to oil(butter) and stir like mad until it's a nutty, caramel color (thanks, Grandma). This recipe calls for a totally different roux experience.  I'll let you decide which is better!

Leftover Turkey and Sausage Gumbo


No comments:

Post a Comment